Tuesday 8 February 2011
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of February people in US were listening to Grenade by Bruno Mars.
Just Go with It, directed by Dennis Dugan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Tick Tock by James Patterson, Michael Ledwidge was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 February 2011!
Which were the important events of 8 February 2011 ?
- Nirvana Day - an annual Buddhist festival.
- Saint Jerome Emiliani.
- Saint Juventius
- Saint Mengold of Huy
- Saint Jacoba (d.1239)
- Slovenia - Pre?eren Day, the Slovenian cultural holiday.
- Boy Scouts of America - Scout Sunday; The Sunday preceding February 8 is designated as Scout Sunday and the following Saturday is designated as Scout Sabbath.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 08 February
- Tony Malinosky: American baseball player and soldier (d. 2011).
- A suspected US spy drone crashes near the south Yemen town of Loder with witnesses claiming that Al-Qaeda removed the wreckage. (AFP via Google News)
- Dokka Umarov, a Chechen warlord and one of Russia's most wanted men, claims responsibility for the bombing at Domodedovo International Airport last month. (Al Jazeera)
- Violence erupts at a blasphemy trial in Temanggung, central Java with three churches destroyed. (''Jakarta Post'')
- Volkswagen agrees on a new contract with the union IG Metall, including a 3.2 percent increase in base pay for its employees. (NY Times)
- Ultimate Electronics, a United States electronics retail chain, has applied to a bankruptcy court for permission to close all of its 46 stores. (''Las Vegas Sun'')
- The London Stock Exchange in the United Kingdom is in advanced talks to merge with the TMX Group that operates Canada's two stock exchanges in Montreal and Toronto. (Bloomberg via ''Business Week'')
- Drought hits Central China. Part of the Xiangjiang River dried-up in Changsha, Hunan province. (China Daily)
- An Indonesian ferry carrying 226 passengers from Tanjung Priok to Bangka Belitung catches fire. (''Jakarta Post'')
- A snow storm hits the Mountain West and Great Plains areas of the United States. (CNN)
- Officials from North Korea and South Korea meet in Panmunjom for military-level talks. (Yonhap)
- Aung San Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy calls for talks with Western nations about possible changes to sanctions against Burma. (AFP via News Limited)
- Taiwan arrests Major General Lo Hsieh-che, head of the Taiwanese Army's electronic communications and information department, for allegedly leaking secrets to the People's Republic of China. (''South China Morning Post'')
- Several dozen Rohingya boat refugees from Bangladesh and Myanmar are accepted to India at Port Blair in the Andaman Islands after being detained by the Thai Navy and rejected at sea, but face repatriation to Bangladesh. (''The Ecologist'')
- The lawyer for former Liberian President Charles Taylor walks out of court protesting that his client's rights to a fair trial had been abused. (Reuters)
- The Mexican Army rescues 44 Guatemalan immigrants in Reynosa in northern Mexico. (AP via ''Houston Chronicle'')
- The Israeli Knesset approves the ampquotBishara Billampquot, which would revoke the pension payments of Knesset members if they fail to appear at criminal proceedings held against them, or if convicted of severe felonies. (''Ynetnews'')
- 2011 Egyptian protests
- The protests continue in Egypt for a fifteenth day, hours after a detained Google executive is released with the crowds the biggest yet. (''New York Times'')
- The Vice President of Egypt Omar Suleiman promises that the government will not pursue protesters. (MSNBC)
- Human Rights Watch claims that government-controlled health services in Egypt have been 'told to downplay protest deaths'. (ABC News Australia)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 8 February 2011 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?