Wednesday 8 January 1947
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Igor Ivanov in Leningrad and Laurie Walters.
13 Rue Madeleine, directed by Henry Hathaway, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
On TV people were watching Bristol-Myers Tele-Varieties.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 January 1947!
Which were the important events of 8 January 1947 ?
- Commonwealth Day is celebrated in Northern Mariana Islands.
- Igor Ivanov in Leningrad: Russia; Canadian chess champion (1981-84, 1985-).
- Laurie Walters: American actress.
- William Bonin: American homicide; convicted of sex crimes and the rape of young boys from 1969.
- David Bowie: British rock star and actor with an exotic image, producing shows that staged flash and glitter with weird, sensational effects.
- Don Bendell: American author & karate master.
- David Gates: American journalist and author
- Antti Kalliomäki: Finnish pole vaulter and politician
- Samuel Schmid: Swiss lawyer and politician 90th President of the Swiss Confederation
- Luke Williams: New Zealand-American wrestler
- Gen George Marshall becomes Secretary of State
- Toronto Maple Leafs' rookie Howie Meeker scores five goals in a game.
- American General George Marshall becomes Secretary of State.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1947 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- (I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons - Dinah Shore
- Ain't Nobody Here but Us Chickens - Louis Jordan & His Tympany Five
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?