Wednesday 8 January 1947
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
13 Rue Madeleine, directed by Henry Hathaway, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1947
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 January 1947!
Which were the important events of 8 January 1947 ?
- Commonwealth Day is celebrated in Northern Mariana Islands.
- William Bonin: American homicide; convicted of sex crimes and the rape of young boys from 1969.
- Laurie Walters: American actress.
- David Bowie: British rock star and actor with an exotic image, producing shows that staged flash and glitter with weird, sensational effects.
- Don Bendell: American author & karate master.
- David Gates: American journalist and author.
- Antti Kalliomäki: Finnish pole vaulter and politician
- Samuel Schmid: Swiss lawyer and politician 90th President of the Swiss Confederation
- Luke Williams: New Zealand-American wrestler
- Igor Ivanov in Leningrad: Russia; Canadian chess champion (1981-84, 1985-).
- Gen George Marshall becomes Secretary of State
- Toronto Maple Leafs' rookie Howie Meeker scores five goals in a game.
- American General George Marshall becomes Secretary of State.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1947 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- (I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons - Dinah Shore
- Ain't Nobody Here but Us Chickens - Louis Jordan & His Tympany Five
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 8 January 1947 and get them!