Saturday 8 January 1955
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK Oh Mein Papa by Eddie Calvert was in the top 5 hits.
Bad Day at Black Rock, directed by John Sturges, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while The View From Pompey'S Head by Hamilton Basso was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 January 1955!
Which were the important events of 8 January 1955 ?
- Commonwealth Day is celebrated in Northern Mariana Islands.
- Joan Kingston: Canadian nurse educator and politician.
- Spiros Livathinos: Greek footballer and coach.
- Mike Reno: Vancouver, British Columbia -- Rock vocalist (Loverboy).
- WUNC TV channel 4 in Chapel Hill, NC (PBS) begins broadcasting
- Furman sets NCAA basketball single-game scoring record with 154 points.
- Louise Sugg wins LPGA Los Angeles Golf Open.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1955 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Eddie Calvert - Oh Mein Papa
- Frankie Laine - Blowing Wild
- Winifred Atwell - Let's Have A Party
- David Whitfield - Rags To Riches
- Mantovani - Swedish Rhapsody
- The Finger Of Suspicion - Dickie Valentine With The Stargazers
- Mambo Italiano - Rosemary Clooney & The Mellomen
- No One But You - Billy Eckstine
- Ronnie Hilton - I Still Believe
- Ruby Murray - Heartbeat
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 8 January 1955 and get them!