Friday 8 January 2010
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of January people in US were listening to TiK ToK by Ke$ha.
The Book of Eli, directed by The Hughes Brothers, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while Going Rogue: An American Life by Sarah Palin was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 January 2010!
Which were the important events of 8 January 2010 ?
- Commonwealth Day is celebrated in Northern Mariana Islands.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 08 January
- Gunmen from an offshoot the Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda attacked the bus carrying the Togo national football team on its way to the 2010 African Cup of Nations, killing three.
- The Togo national football team is involved in an attack in Angola, and as a result withdraws from the Africa Cup of Nations.
- A large statue of the Pharaoh Taharqa is discovered deep in Sudan. (''The Independent'')
- Police in England respond to a security alert on a Dubai-bound flight from London Heathrow Airport. (''Toronto Star'')
- Sékouba Konaté, the interim head of the junta in Guinea, is flown to Senegal after falling ill. (Reuters South Africa)
- The Portuguese parliament approves a bill to legalise same-sex marriage. (Deutsche Welle)
- China Mobile, the world's largest mobile telephone operator, sacks its vice chairman Zhang Chunjiang. (''The Washington Post'')
- The Ugandan death penalty for homosexuality may be declared ampquotnot necessaryampquot. (''The Philadelphia Enquirer'')
- Mehdi Karroubi's car is hit by fire in Qazvin, Iran. (''The New York Times'')
- China becomes the number one automobile market in the world. (Reuters)
- Two people are arrested over a bomb plot in New York City last year. (AFP)
- A Georgian flight lands in Moscow, Russia, the first since the 2008 war. (''China Daily'')
- Two Burmese whistleblowers are sentenced to death for leaking details of secret government visits to North Korea. (''The New York Times'')
- Several churches in Malaysia are attacked amid tensions over the use of ampquotAllahampquot by non-Muslims in the country. (Al Jazeera)
- Riots break out amongst immigrants and local inhabitants in the town of Rosarno in southern Italy in a protest against an attack on African workers by white youths. (AFP)
- Three people are arrested for their involvement in the killing of six Copts as they left a church in southern Egypt. (BBC)
- The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society's anti-whaling speedboat ''Ady Gil'', which was damaged on Wednesday during a confrontation with the Japanese security vessel ''Shonan Maru 2'', sinks in the Southern Ocean shortly before 3:30 a.m. AEDT as the Society's ''Bob Barker'' attempts to salvage the boat. (ABC News)
- French research in ''Analytical Chemistry'' suggests that the heavy eye make-up of Cleopatra could be medically useful. (ANSAmed)
- British MP George Galloway is deported from Egypt. (Al Jazeera)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 2010 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 8 January 2010 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?