Sunday 8 July 1956
It was Sunday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK I'll Be Home by Pat Boone was in the top 5 hits.
Somebody Up There Likes Me, directed by Robert Wise, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while The Last Hurrah by Edwin O'Connor was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1956.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 July 1956!
Which were the important events of 8 July 1956 ?
- Annual Soapy Smith wake, held each year in Skagway, Alaska in the Gold Rush Cemetery and in Hollywood, California at the Magic Castle
- Feast day of Saint Kilian
- Feast day of Saint Grimbald
- Millard Frank Hampton: Fresno, California -- 4x100m runner (1976 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Russell Christian: rocker (The Christians - "Harvest the World").
- Jean-René Bernaudeau: French road bicycle racer, professional from 1978 to 1988.
- Terry Puhl: Canadian baseball player and coach.
- Joyce Ziske wins LPGA Syracuse Golf Open
- The mountain Gasherbrum II is first ascended.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1956 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Top #5 songs in the UK
- Pat Boone - I'll Be Home
- Teenagers featuring Frankie Lymon - Why Do Fools Fall In Love
- Elvis Presley - Heartbreak Hotel
- All Star Hit Parade (EP) - Various Artists
- I'm Walking Backwards For Christmas / Bluebottle Blues - The Goons
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?