Wednesday 8 June 1949
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Edward, My Son, directed by George Cukor, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1949.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 June 1949!
Which were the important events of 8 June 1949 ?
- Saint Sabinianus, abbot, confessor [GTZ: Puy]
- World Ocean Day.
- Saint Audomar, bishop of ThTrouanne, confessor (Translation day)
- Saint Elphege, bishop, martyr (Translation day)
- Saint Marius, hermit [GTZ: Clermont]
- Trojecia, virgin (at Rodez)
- Roman Empire - second day of the Vestalia in honor of Vesta.
- Blessed Chlodulph, bishop of Metz
- Blessed Gildard, bishop of Rouen, confessor
- Blessed Maximinus, bishop of Aix en Provence
- Blessed William, bishop of York, confessor
- Blessed Syra of Ireland, virgin
- Syria, virgin (at Troyes)
- saint Medard, bishop of Noyon, confessor [common]
- Michel Rousseau: French swimmer, he won the 1970 European championship and a silver medal at the 1973 World championship, in the 100m (freestyle).
- Hildegard Falck: German FR, 800m runner (1972 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Jeffrey Mylett: American actor (Born 1949).
- Emanuel Ax: Pianist.
- Emmanuel Ax: Lvov, Poland -- Pianist (Artur Rubinstein Comp-1974).
- Siam changes name to Thailand
- Celebrities Helen Keller, Dorothy Parker, Danny Kaye, Fredric March, John Garfield, Paul Muni and Edward G. Robinson are named in an FBI report as Communist Party members.
- George Orwell's 1984 is published.
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1949 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- The Hucklebuck - Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra
- Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra - Again
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?