Tuesday 8 March 2011
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of March people in US were listening to Born This Way by Lady GaGa.
Detention, directed by Joseph Kahn, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Alone by Lisa Gardner was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 March 2011!
Which were the important events of 8 March 2011 ?
- Saint Philemon (d. 305)
- Albania, Romania - Mother's Day.
- Catholicism Saint John of God.
- Hudson's Birthday - The Second Coming Of Christmas.
- Saint Humfried of Terwaan
- Saint Cyrillus of Africa
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 08 March
- Mike Starr (musician): American Musician (Born 1966).
- 2011 Libyan civil war:
- Al Jazeera claims to have video that shows a Libyan Army officer being executed for refusing to fire on opposition positions west of the capital Tripoli. (Al Jazeera)
- Pro-Gaddafi forces launch an offensive on the rebel held town of Zawiya. (BBC)
- The President of the United States Barack Obama and the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom David Cameron agree that the ampquotcommon objective in Libyaampquot is the end of violence and the departure of Colonel Gaddafi. (Reuters)
- 2010–2011 Ivorian crisis: Four people are shot dead in Abidjan after a march to protest the killing of seven female demonstrators last week. (''Times of India'')
- National Army of Colombia troops free 22 of 23 local oil contractors working for Canada's Talisman Energy captured a day earlier by FARC rebels. (Colombia Reports)
- One person is killed in clashes between Coptic Christians and Muslims in the Egyptian capital Cairo. (BBC)
- Israeli troops and settlers open fire upon Palestinians in the West Bank while they repaired orchards previously attacked by settlers, injuring 8 Palestinians. (Boston Globe)
- Oil companies and banks have stopped trading with Libya after the introduction of sanctions leading to a shutdown of exports and further pressure on oil prices. (''Wall Street Journal'')
- Authorities in Redondo Beach, California, in the US city of Los Angeles investigate what caused the death of millions of fish at the King Harbor Marina. (''Los Angeles Times'')
- 7 children die in a farmhouse fire near Harrisburg, PA. (''CNN'')
- China reiterates its claim over the disputed Spratly Islands after Vietnam and the Philippines protest over Chinese naval activity in their waters. (''Bangkok Post'')
- Lt. General Hideyuki Yoshioka, responsible for air systems development at Japan's Ministry of Defense, estimates that it is on track to develop a stealth fighter within three years. (AP via ''Washington Post'')
- Mata Tuatagaloa Keli is sworn in as Samoa's first female judge. (RNZI)
- Italian police seek to arrest 41 alleged members of the 'ndrangheta crime syndicate based in Calabria with suspects also sought in Germany, Canada and Australia. (SBS)
- A St Louis police officer and two U.S. Marshals are shot, one fatally, while serving an arrest warrant in south St. Louis, Missouri. The gunman is killed. (''St Louis Today'')
- International Criminal Court judges order two Darfur rebels to stand trial for a deadly 2007 attack on peacekeepers. (Canadian Press via Google News)
- Syrian human rights activist and government critic Haitham al-Maleh is released from prison as part of an amnesty for those convicted of minor crimes and those aged over 70. (BBC)
- Mexico's youngest police chief, Marisol Valles García of the town of Práxedis G. Guerrero, Chihuahua, seeks asylum to the United States after receiving death threats. (BBC)
- Twenty-one Catholic priests in the US city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, are suspended after being named in an investigation in claims of widespread child molestation. (BBC)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 2011 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?