Friday 8 May 1959
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of May people in US were listening to Come Softly To Me by The Fleetwoods.
In UK Side Saddle by Russ Conway was in the top 5 hits.
Imitation of Life, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 8 May 1959 ?
- Saints Wiro, Plechelmus and Otger
- Saint Macharius of Ghent (died 1012)
- Parents' Day in South Korea
- Iris feast of the Region of Brussels capital (in Belgium)
- VE Day
- World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day
- Saint Ida of Nivelles
- Ronnie Lott in Albuquerque: New Mexico, USA; NFL defensive back (San Francisco 49ers).
- Anita Noyes-Smith: British-South African astrologer, known locally for radio and TV appearances.
- Ikue Sakakibara: Japanese actress and singer.
- Ronnie Lott: Football Player.
- Renato Caccioppoli: Italian Mathematician / pianist, suicide at 55.
- 3-deck Nile excursion steamer springs a leak panicking passengers who capsized ship. 200 drown just yards from shore
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Frankie Avalon - Venus
- The Fleetwoods - Come Softly To Me
- Dave Baby Cortez - The Happy Organ
- The Impalas - Sorry (I Ran All The Way Home)
- Elvis Presley - (Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
- Dodie Stevens - Pink Shoe Laces
- Elvis Presley - I Need Your Love Tonight
- The Virtues - Guitar Boogie Shuffle
- Travis and Bob - Tell Him No
- Fabian - Turn Me Loose
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?