Sunday 8 May 2011
It was Sunday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of May people in US were listening to E.T. by Katy Perry.
Thor, directed by Kenneth Branagh, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 8 May 2011 ?
- Saints Wiro, Plechelmus and Otger
- Saint Macharius of Ghent (died 1012)
- Parents' Day in South Korea
- Iris feast of the Region of Brussels capital (in Belgium)
- VE Day
- World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day
- Saint Ida of Nivelles
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 08 May
- Lionel Rose: Australian boxer and singer (d. 2011).
- 2011 Syrian protests:
- Syrian forces enter the cities of Homs and Tafas, where anti-government demonstrations were taking place. (Al Jazeera)
- Bahrain's King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa orders an end to the emergency law imposed after anti-government protests. (Al Jazeera)
- Fourteen people are killed in fighting at the Iraqi Ministry of Interior including six members of the police. (AP via Fox News)
- 2011 Egyptian revolution:
- The Prime Minister of Egypt Essam Sharaf to discuss fatal clashes between Muslims and Christians in the Imbaba district of Cairo. (BBC)
- The Egyptian Army will try the 190 people arrested in the unrest in a military court. (Reuters)
- Witnesses claim that there have been two large explosions in the Pakistan town of Abbottabad. (AP via MSNBC)
- 2011 Libyan civil war
- Alleged Libyan rape victim Iman al-Obeidi flees to Tunisia fearing reprisals from the regime of Muammar Gaddafi. (CNN)
- Libyan rebels fight a heavy battle with Gaddafi's forces near Misrata Airport. (Reuters)
- There is a near riot in the Beijing Apple Store as the Apple iPad 2 goes on sale in the People's Republic of China. (AFP via ''Straits Times'')
- Peter Beale, Nick Stephenson, John Edwards and John Towers - the so-called ampquotPhoenix Fourampquot who ran MG Rover following its collapse - have agreed to be disqualified from serving as company directors for between 3 and 6 years. The deal was made with the UK's Department of Business, Innovation and Skills, following a ampquotlengthy and complex investigationampquot into the affair. (BBC)
- 2011 Mississippi River floods
- Flooding along the Mississippi and tributaries has worsened, exceeding record levels since a three day tornado outbreak over a week ago, with ten dead, more than a thousand homes ordered evacuated in Memphis, Tennessee, more than 2,000 in Mississippi state, and about 13% of US refinery output disrupted. ''(Toronto Sun)''
- Radiation levels in the number 1 reactor building fall at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant following the installation of ventilation. (''Times of India'')
- A ship carrying 300 African migrants headed for Malta runs aground near Lampedusa in Italy with many on board having to be rescued from the sea. (Al Jazeera)
- An international search and rescue mission is launched in Kiribati after six teenagers on an outrigger canoe go missing in the Pacific Ocean. (BNO)
- Voters in Albania go to the polls for local elections. (AFP via Google News)
- Four people are killed in land protests in northern India. (AP via ''Straits Times'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2011 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?