Friday 8 November 1918
It was Friday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
The Greatest Thing in Life, directed by D.W. Griffith, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1918
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1918.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 November 1918!
Which were the important events of 8 November 1918 ?
- FranSois Isch: Montauban physician.
- Kazuo Sakamaki: Japanese naval officer (Born 1918).
- Hermann Zapf: German typographer and calligrapher (d. 2015).
- Pro-German Supreme Commander general Cutters lay-offs
- The German army withdraws its support of the Kaiser.
- Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany abdicates and chooses to live in exile in the Netherlands.
- Provisional National Council Minister-President Kurt Eisner declares Bavaria to be a republic.
- British battleship HMS ''Britannia'' is sunk by German submarine ''U-50'' off Trafalgar with the loss of around fifty lives, the last major naval engagement of WWI.
- WWI ends: Germany signs an armistice agreement with the Allies between 5:12 AM and 5:20 AM in Marshal Foch’s railroad car in Compiègne Forest in France. It becomes official on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.
- Poland regains independence after 123 years of partitions. Józef Piłsudski is appointed Commander-in-Chief.
- Emperor Charles I of Austria gives up his absolute power but does not abdicate.
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1918 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Love's Garden of Roses - John McCormack
- When Uncle Joe Steps into France - Arthur Collins & Byron Harlan
- The Lost Chord - Alma Gluck
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?