Sunday 8 October 1939
It was Sunday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Armando Gentilucci and Elvira Ozolina.
Jamaica Inn, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1939.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 October 1939!
Which were the important events of 8 October 1939 ?
- French Republican Calendar - Citrouille (Pumpkin) Day, seventeenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Also see October 8 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Bolivia - reportedly, Che Guevara is honoured on this day at which he was captured in La Higuera, as San Ernesto, answering prayers for rain.
- Wales and Cornwall - Saint Keyne
- RC Saints - Saint Susan of Blois
- Armando Gentilucci: Composer.
- Elvira Ozolina: USSR -- Javelin thrower (1960 Olympics - Gold Medalist).
- Jean-Claude Gaudin: French politician for Union for a Popular Movement (UMP).
- Paul Hogan: Australian actor and screenwriter who is best known for his first feature film, "Crocodile Dundee," and it's sequel, "Crocodile Dundee II," both of which he penned and both of which became huge hits after the first one opened in Australia on 4/22/1986.
- Giuseppe Beghetto: .
- Elvīra Ozoliņa: Latvian javelin thrower
- Harvey Pekar: American comic book writer (Born 1939)
- Lynne Stewart: American civil liberties lawyer
- New York Yankees sweep Cincinnati Reds in 36th World Series, fourth straight World Series win.
- World War II: Germany annexes Western Poland.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1939 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?