Saturday 8 October 1955
It was Saturday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK The Man From Laramie by Jimmy Young was in the top 5 hits.
Oklahoma!, directed by Fred Zinnemann, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while The Man In The Gray Flannel Suit by Sloan Wilson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1955.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 October 1955!
Which were the important events of 8 October 1955 ?
- French Republican Calendar - Citrouille (Pumpkin) Day, seventeenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Also see October 8 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Bolivia - reportedly, Che Guevara is honoured on this day at which he was captured in La Higuera, as San Ernesto, answering prayers for rain.
- Wales and Cornwall - Saint Keyne
- RC Saints - Saint Susan of Blois
- Bill Elliott: American race car driver.
- Alain Ferté: French race car driver.
- Darrell Hammond: American comedian and actor.
- Lonnie Pitchford: American singer and guitarist (d. 1998).
- Iry LeJeune: American accordion player (d. 1955).
- Worlds most powerful aircraft carrier, Saratoga (US), launched
- World's most powerful aircraft carrier, Saratoga (US), launched.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1955 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?