Tuesday 8 October 1957
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Doug Cox and James De Paiva.
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Honeycomb by Jimmie Rodgers.
In UK Diana by Paul Anka was in the top 5 hits.
Raintree County, directed by Edward Dmytryk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while By Love Possessed by James Gould Cozzens was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching 26 Men.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 October 1957!
Which were the important events of 8 October 1957 ?
- French Republican Calendar - Citrouille (Pumpkin) Day, seventeenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Also see October 8 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Bolivia - reportedly, Che Guevara is honoured on this day at which he was captured in La Higuera, as San Ernesto, answering prayers for rain.
- Wales and Cornwall - Saint Keyne
- RC Saints - Saint Susan of Blois
- Doug Cox: Guelph, Ontario -- 90 kg Greco Roman wrestler (1996 Olympics).
- James De Paiva: Hayward, California -- Actor (Max Holden-One Life to Live).
- Joe Castiglione: American college athletic director.
- Sonia Choquette: American writer, New York Times best-selling author, storyteller, vibrational healer, and six-sensory spiritual teacher.
- Cristina Mullins: Brazilian actress noted on TV soap series.
- Procter and Gamble-director N McElroy becomes US Minister of Defense
- Soviet spy Jack Sobel sentenced to 7 years (NYC)
- Brooklyn Dodgers announce move to Los Angeles.
- Turkish and Syrian border guards exchange fire.
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Jimmie Rodgers - Honeycomb
- Debbie Reynolds - Tammy
- The Crickets - That'll Be The Day
- Paul Anka - Diana
- Jerry Lee Lewis - Whole Lot Of Shakin' Going On
- The Bobbettes - Mr. Lee
- Johnny Mathis - Chances Are
- Russ Hamilton - Rainbow
- The Everly Brothers - Wake Up Little Susie
- The Tune Weavers - Happy, Happy Birthday Baby
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?