Thursday 8 October 1959
It was Thursday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Mack The Knife by Bobby Darin.
In UK Only Sixteen by Craig Douglas was in the top 5 hits.
Pillow Talk, directed by Michael Gordon, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Advise And Consent by Allen Drury was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1959.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 October 1959!
Which were the important events of 8 October 1959 ?
- French Republican Calendar - Citrouille (Pumpkin) Day, seventeenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Also see October 8 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Bolivia - reportedly, Che Guevara is honoured on this day at which he was captured in La Higuera, as San Ernesto, answering prayers for rain.
- Wales and Cornwall - Saint Keyne
- RC Saints - Saint Susan of Blois
- Carlos I Noriega: Lima, Peru -- Astronaut (STS 84, sk 97).
- Gavin Friday [Fionan Hanvey]: Irish singer (Virgin Prunes).
- Tony Eason: football quarterback (New England Patriots).
- Sandra Bookman: American journalist, a news anchor with ABC TV.
- Tommy Armour: American golfer.
- Nick Bakay: American actor producer and screenwriter
- Brad Byers: American stunt performer
- Gavin Friday: Irish singer-songwriter actor and producer (Virgin Prunes)
- Erik Gundersen: Danish motorcycle racer
- Peter Horrocks: English journalist and producer
- Mike Morgan: Tulare, California -- Pitcher (St. Louis Cardinals)
- Carlos Noriega: Peruvian-American colonel and astronaut
- Daniel Ribacoff: Brazilian-American polygraph examiner
- At the Drop of a Hat opens at John Golden Theater NYC for 216 performances
- Conservatives win British election
- LA Dodgers beat Chicago White Sox, 4 games to 2 in 56th World Series
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife
- Paul Anka - Put Your Head On My Shoulder
- Santo and Johnny - Sleep Walk
- The Everly Brothers - ('Til) I Kissed You
- The Browns - The Three Bells
- Sandy Nelson - Teen Beat
- Lloyd Price - I'm Gonna Get Married
- The Fleetwoods - Mr. Blue
- Johnny and the Hurricanes - Red River Rock
- The Coasters - Poison Ivy
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?