Thursday 8 October 2009
It was Thursday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of October people in US were listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
Couples Retreat, directed by Peter Billingsley, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 October 2009!
Which were the important events of 8 October 2009 ?
- French Republican Calendar - Citrouille (Pumpkin) Day, seventeenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Also see October 8 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Bolivia - reportedly, Che Guevara is honoured on this day at which he was captured in La Higuera, as San Ernesto, answering prayers for rain.
- Wales and Cornwall - Saint Keyne
- RC Saints - Saint Susan of Blois
- The 2009 Nobel Prize in Literature goes to the Romanian-German novelist Herta Müller, ampquotwho, with the concentration of poetry and the frankness of prose, depicts the landscape of the dispossessedampquot. She becomes the twelfth woman to win the literature prize and the fourth female Nobel Laureate of 2009, a record year for female achievers. (''The Times'')
- A Taliban attack on the Indian embassy in Kabul kills at least 17 and injures 83. (''The Australian'')
- A prominent Al-Qaeda leader, Abu Yahya al-Libi, urges Muslims in Xinjiang to ampquotprepare for holy warampquot after the riots in July. (''China Daily'')
- The Government of Ireland announces Nicholas Kearns as its nomination for appointment as President of the High Court. (''The Irish Times'')
- Wallace Souza, former Brazilian television presenter accused of ordering murders to boost the ratings of ''Canal Livre'', now a fugitive from justice, is at large following the end of his parliamentary immunity. (CNN)
- Yevgeny Dzhugashvili launches a court action claiming the ''Novaya Gazeta'' newspaper has defamed his grandfather, Joseph Stalin. (''Miami Herald'')
- Guinea's military government announces it is setting up a commission to investigate the shooting of protesters last week. (Bloomberg)
- At least two people are killed and dozens injured as Typhoon Melor makes landfall in Japan. (''Mainichi Shimbun'')
- Treaty of Lisbon:
- Kaczyński's twin brother and political ally, Jaroslaw, denies this. (Xinhua)
- In addition, Alexander Szczyglo, the president's head of security, tells the TVN24 television channel that President Kaczyński will sign the Lisbon treaty on October 11. (Al Jazeera)
- French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner says the Lisbon Treaty will not be changed to meet the demands of Klaus, accusing him of ampquotinventing difficultiesampquot and saying he has no doubt this behaviour will continue. (Reuters India)
- DNA analysis reveals the identity of the ampquotcursed bloodampquot disorder that afflicted the British Royal Family in the 19th and early 20th centuries. (BBC)
- A new study reveals one in four people are Muslim, with the global Muslim population standing at 1.57 billion. (Jewish Telegraphic Agency)
- Colombia's Administrative Department of Security to be dismantled and become newly named ''Agencia Central de Inteligencia'' (Central Intelligence Agency). (Colombia Reports)
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2009 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?