Friday 8 October 2010
It was Friday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars.
Ip Man, directed by Wilson Yip, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Hard Drive 13.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Azkend or Death By Cube.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 October 2010!
Which were the important events of 8 October 2010 ?
- French Republican Calendar - Citrouille (Pumpkin) Day, seventeenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Also see October 8 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Bolivia - reportedly, Che Guevara is honoured on this day at which he was captured in La Higuera, as San Ernesto, answering prayers for rain.
- Wales and Cornwall - Saint Keyne
- RC Saints - Saint Susan of Blois
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 08 October
- Frank Bourgholtzer: American television correspondent (Born 1919).
- Four miners were killed and another was seriously injured after a colliery collapsed in Xinjiang. A pit owned by Xinjiang Shenhua Tiandian Mining in Hutubi county in Changji Hui Autonomous Prefecture caved in. (Global Times)
- Several militants are killed in Khyber Agency when security forces targeted militant hideouts with gunship helicopters. (Dawn)
- At least 16 people, including the governor of Kunduz province, Mohammad Omar, are killed in a bombing. (Voice of America)
- German officials say that Islamic militants whose disclosures have triggered a Europe-wide terror alert, have links to the perpetrators of the September 11 attacks on the United States in 2001. (AP via Google News)
- A Taiwanese ship initially believed to have been hijacked off the coast of Madagascar is later found safe. (Xinhua)
- Israeli–Palestinian conflict:
- Two Hamas militants are killed, several others are injured and more are detained in an overnight Israeli military raid on Hebron in Israel. A Hamas-affiliated group, the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades, threatens revenge attacks. (''The Jerusalem Post'')
- Two Palestinian boys stoning an Israeli car in Shiloach are hurt when the driver of the car, the director of the Ir David Foundation, crashes into them while trying to escape the crowd of youths stoning his car. One of them is hospitalized. (Al Jazeera)
- Google celebrates the 70th birthday of John Lennon with an animated Google doodle. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
- German film ''The White Ribbon'' wins the BBC Four World Cinema Award. (BBC)
- United States gospel music singer Albertina Walker, known as the ampquotQueen of Gospelampquot dies in Chicago. (''Chicago Tribune'' via HeraldNet)
- The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) concluded its 37th session of its assembly on Friday at its headquarters in Montreal, making progresses on aviation emissions. (China Daily)
- The United States economy shed 95,000 more jobs than expected in September. (Al Jazeera)
- The United Arab Emirates announces that it will not implement a proposed ban on all BlackBerry services due to go into effect from next year. (CNN)
- Premier Wen Jiabao of the People's Republic of China denies reports that China is using its control over minerals crucial to high technology (called ampquotrare earthampquot) as a bargaining chip, especially in a dispute with Japan over Japan's arrest of a Chinese fishing-boat captain (AP)
- Ajka alumina plant accident in Hungary:
- Greenpeace say samples taken in Kolontár indicate ampquotsurprisingly highampquot levels of toxic substances, including arsenic, chrome and mercury. (Al Jazeera)
- Maltese chemical tanker is reported to be sinking following a collision with the Panamanian cargo ship ''Hanjin Rizhao'' off the coast of Brittany, France. (Vesseltracker)
- One person died and 42 others remain hospitalized in the Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture of Garze. Over 100 people, mostly tourists and hotel staff, were affected. (''Global Times'')
- Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao holds talks with Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan in Ankara. (''China Dialy'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2010 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?