Thursday 9 August 1956
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK Whatever Will Be Will Be (Que Sera Sera) by Doris Day was in the top 5 hits.
Bigger Than Life, directed by Nicholas Ray, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while The Last Hurrah by Edwin O'Connor was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 August 1956!
Which were the important events of 9 August 1956 ?
- St. Nathy (or David)
- Feast day of the great martyr Saint Panteleimon in Russian Orthodox Church
- St. Fedlimid/Felimy
- St. Romanus Ostiarius
- St. Edith Stein
- Singapore: National Day
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Jean Vianney
- Adam Nimoy: American television director, the son of the actors Leonard Nimoy and Sandra Zober.
- 1st state-wide, state-supported educational TV network, Alabama
- Alabama begins the first US state-wide, state-supported educational TV network.
- South African women demonstrate against pass laws.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1956 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 9 August 1956 and get them!