Saturday 9 August 2008
It was Saturday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to I Kissed A Girl by Katy Perry.
Vicky Cristina Barcelona, directed by Woody Allen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Twilight by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2008.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 August 2008!
Which were the important events of 9 August 2008 ?
- St. Nathy (or David)
- Feast day of the great martyr Saint Panteleimon in Russian Orthodox Church
- St. Fedlimid/Felimy
- St. Romanus Ostiarius
- St. Edith Stein
- Singapore: National Day
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Jean Vianney
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 09 August
- American actor/comedian Bernie Mac (The Bernie Mac Show, Ocean's Eleven, Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, Transformers) dies in a Chicago hospital from complications due to pneumonia, at age 50.
- 2008 Summer Olympics:
- Shooter Kateřina Emmons of the Czech Republic wins the women's 10 meter air rifle competition, the first gold medal of the 2008 Summer Olympics, setting an Olympic record for both the qualifying and final scores. (''Los Angeles Times'')
- Woman's weightlifter Chen Xiexia sets Olympic records in both the clean and jerk and total weight lifted, winning China's first and the second gold medal of the summer. (BBC News)
- 2008 South Ossetia War:
- Russia and Georgia continue to fight in South Ossetia and Georgia. The search for the dead and injured continues after at least 2,000 civilians were killed after two days Georgian offensive. Russia reported 12 peacekeepers killed and 30 wounded in the previous day during the Georgian tank and missile bombardment of Tskhinvali. (RIAN)
- At least 38 Warao Indians are dead in Venezuela from a suspected outbreak of rabies from vampire bats. (CNN)
- A mudslide at an illegal gold mine in Burkina Faso causes at least 31 deaths. (AP via ''The Guardian'')
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2008 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?