Monday 9 August 2010
It was Monday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Love The Way You Lie by Eminem.
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, directed by Edgar Wright, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 August 2010!
Which were the important events of 9 August 2010 ?
- St. Nathy (or David)
- Feast day of the great martyr Saint Panteleimon in Russian Orthodox Church
- St. Fedlimid/Felimy
- St. Romanus Ostiarius
- St. Edith Stein
- Singapore: National Day
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Jean Vianney
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 09 August
- Ted Stevens: American soldier lawyer and politician (d. 2010).
- Prime Minister of Israel Benjamin Netanyahu testifies before Israel's Turkel Commission investigating the country's role in May's Gaza flotilla raid, chaired by Israeli judge Jacob Turkel. The testimony is scheduled to last five hours, with some of it closed to the media and public. (BBC)
- Commemoration of the atomic bombing of Nagasaki:
- Japan marks the 65th anniversary of the 1945 atomic bombing of Nagasaki. The United States, which perpetrated the attack, upsets survivors by not sending an ambassador due to ampquotscheduling reasonsampquot this time, though France and the UK send representatives for the first time. (BBC)
- Mayor of Nagasaki Tomihisa Taue calls for the international elimination of nuclear weapons before representatives of a record 32 countries. (Japan Times)
- The Turkish government promotes two new generals. (BBC)
- Iraqi traffic police are allegedly given AK-47 assault rifles for their use in Baghdad. (Reuters via ''Arab News'')
- South Korea claims that North Korea has fired more than 100 rounds of artillery into the Sea of Japan near the border highlighting the increase of tensions on the Korean Peninsula. (''China Daily'')
- The International Assistance Mission suspends medical expeditions in Afghanistan following loss of personnel in the 2010 Badakhshan massacre. (''The New York Times'')
- Actress Patricia Neal, the wife of author Roald Dahl, dies. (BBC)
- Honda recalls more than 384,000 vehicles due to ignition difficulties. (''Los Angeles Times'')
- Mexicana de Aviación cancels flights to and from Europe and the Americas as it goes bankrupt. (Mexicana de Aviación)
- Luxembourg's Skype files for an initial public offering in the United States. (Sky News)
- The United Nations describes the ongoing 2010 Pakistan floods as the worst natural disaster in years - worse than the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami, the 2005 Kashmir earthquake and the 2010 Haiti earthquake - as the number of people affected reaches an estimated 15 million and the waters and landslides continue to swamp the country. (Aljazeera)
- The death toll in China following the recent mudslide rises to 337. 1,148 people are now missing. (Reuters India)
- 33 miners are still trapped without any contact underground after days of rescue efforts at a collapsed mine near Copiapó in the Atacama Desert. (Aljazeera)
- Mumbai oil spill:
- An oil spill becomes more serious three days after two ships, MSC ''Chitra'' and MV ''Khalijia-111'' collided off Mumbai, India. (Aljazeera)
- At least 10 people die and dozens disappear after a passenger boat sinks off the coast of Indonesia. (''The Age'')
- President of Venezuela Hugo Chávez announces that he has agreed to meet President of Colombia Juan Manuel Santos tomorrow for talks to end strained relations between the two countries. (Aljazeera)
- The World Trade Organisation orders Australia to change restrictions on New Zealand apple imports imposed due to the fear of fire blight. (AFP via ABC Online)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2010 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 9 August 2010 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?