Thursday 9 August 2012
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen.
The Odd Life of Timothy Green, directed by Peter Hedges, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Freed by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 August 2012!
Which were the important events of 9 August 2012 ?
- St. Nathy (or David)
- Feast day of the great martyr Saint Panteleimon in Russian Orthodox Church
- St. Fedlimid/Felimy
- St. Romanus Ostiarius
- St. Edith Stein
- Singapore: National Day
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least ? saints: St. Jean Vianney
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 09 August
- Syrian civil war:
- The Syrian Army claims success in its major ground offensive against the opposition-held neighborhoods of Aleppo. (Reuters)
- Tehran, Iran, hosts a foreign ministers' conference on Syria, but the attendees remain unknown. Russia is to be represented by its ambassador to Iran. (The Voice of Russia)
- A White House government official says the United States may consider a no-fly zone over the rebel-held territory in Syria. (Reuters)
- Retired Major-General Vladimir Kuzheyev, a Russian military adviser to the Syrian government, rejects the rebel claims of his death in clashes outside Damascus. (''The Moscow Times'')
- Mexican Drug War:
- Fourteen bodies are abandoned inside a van on a major avenue in the Mexican state of San Luis Potosí. It is the fifth time this year drug traffickers leave 14 bodies as a message to their rivals, signaling that the number may be some sort of code. (''Chicago Tribune'')
- North Caucasus insurgency:
- A gunman in Afghan military uniform kills three U.S. soldiers in the southwestern Afghan province of Helmand. (BBC)
- Barclays appoints Sir David Walker as its new chairman following the Libor scandal. (BBC)
- The death toll from floods in the Philippines over the past ten days rises to 70. (CNN)
- Hurricane Ernesto makes landfall in the Mexican state of Veracruz causing at least three deaths. (Reuters via Yahoo! News)
- The trial of Gu Kailai, wife of former Communist powerbroker Bo Xilai, for the alleged murder of British businessman Neil Haywood begins in the Chinese city of Hefei. (ABC News Australia)
- The female Mexican drug lord Sandra Ávila Beltrán is extradited to the United States from Mexico. (''The New York Times'')
- Two journalists are arrested for posing for photographs holding teddy bears in a pro-democracy stunt in Belarus. (Reuters)
- 2012 Summer Olympics:
- Great Britain's Nicola Adams becomes the first female boxer to win an Olympic gold medal after defeating China's Ren Cancan in the flyweight final. (BBC Sport)
- Jamaica's Usain Bolt becomes the first person to win the 100m and 200m events in back-to-back Summer Olympics. (''Los Angeles Times'')
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2012 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in August 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?