Thursday 9 February 1950
It was Thursday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Stromboli, directed by Roberto Rossellini, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1950
while The Parasites by Daphne du Maurier was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1950.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 February 1950!
Which were the important events of 9 February 1950 ?
- Saint Apollonia, patron saint of dentists and dental technicians
- Saint Ansbert of Rouen
- Saint Maroon's Day - Lebanon
- John Heschinger: American administrator and CEO in charge of Hechinger, a hardware chain that is expanding into a warehouse-style retailer.
- Richard Colburn: American sergeant and politician.
- Richard F Colburn: American politician.
- Andrew N Meltzoff: Developmental psychologist.
- Lloyd Weldon Keasor: Pumphrey, Maryland -- Wrestler (1976 Olympics - Silver Medalist).
- Terry Hawkins: Theatre administrator
- Sen Joseph McCarthy charges State Department infested with 205 communists
- Second Red Scare: Senator Joseph McCarthy accuses the United States Department of State of being filled with Communists.
- Two Viet Minh battalions attack a French base in French Indochina.
- Finland recognizes Indonesia.
- Pro-communist riots erupt in Paris.
- The European Broadcasting Union is founded.
- Albert Einstein warns that nuclear war could lead to mutual destruction.
- The U.S. Army begins to deploy anti-aircraft cannons to protect nuclear stations and military targets.
- British Columbia B-36 crash - The U.S. Air Force loses a Convair B-36 bomber that carried an Mark 4 nuclear bomb off the west coast of Canada, and produces the world's first Broken Arrow.amp!--Was this term, in fact, used in 1950? Does it really qualify, as the core was a lead training dummy?--amp
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 1950 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
- Johnnie Lee Wills - Rag Mop
- Teresa Brewer - (Put Another Nickel In) Music! Music! Music!
- It Isn't Fair - Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra (Vocal Don Cornell)
- Bing Crosby - Chattanoogie Shoe Shine Boy
- Rag Mop - Lionel Hampton & His Orchestra
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?