Wednesday 9 February 2011
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of February people in US were listening to Grenade by Bruno Mars.
Just Go with It, directed by Dennis Dugan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Tick Tock by James Patterson, Michael Ledwidge was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 February 2011!
Which were the important events of 9 February 2011 ?
- Saint Apollonia, patron saint of dentists and dental technicians
- Saint Ansbert of Rouen
- Saint Maroon's Day - Lebanon
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 09 February
- Somali pirates seize an oil supertanker off the coast of Oman. (BBC)
- At least seven people are killed and dozens of others are injured during three explosions in Kirkuk, Iraq. (Al Jazeera)
- Serial blasts rock Russia's Grozny, at least five people are wounded. (''People's Daily'')
- 2011 Egyptian protests:
- Nationwide protests against President Hosni Mubarak and his regime continue for a sixteenth day. (''The Guardian'')
- Labour unions involving thousands of workers go on a nationwide strike, boosting the pro-democracy demonstrations occurring across the country. (Al Jazeera)
- Human rights groups say the military is secretly detaining and torturing hundreds and possibly thousands of suspected government opponents and has been doing so since the protests started. (''The Guardian'')
- The government threatens a crackdown as the protests spread. (Voice of America)
- Egyptians mourn those killed for protesting against their government. (Al Jazeera)
- After being released by the authorities, Google executive Wael Ghonim addresses the crowds in Tahrir Square. (''The Guardian'')
- ''The Guardian'' publishes WikiLeaks cables claiming that Saudi Arabia had exaggerated its crude oil reserves by nearly 40% and will have trouble keeping a cap on oil prices. (''The Guardian'')
- A leaked memo shows Nokia chief executive Stephen Elop's belief that the company is too slow in its response to trend changes. (Al Jazeera)
- Activision Blizzard announces that it is dissolving its Guitar Hero division and not publishing any more games. (Gamasutra)
- ConocoPhillips and Marathon Oil announce plans to shut down a liquefied natural gas plant in Kenai, Alaska, United States. (AP via KTUU)
- Project Merlin
- 9 February - Project Merlin, an agreement on aspects of banking activity in the United Kingdom, is agreed between the coalition government and the country's four major high street banks. (BBC)
- Liberal Democrat peer Lord Oakeshott resigns as a Treasury spokesman in the House of Lords after making an outspoken attack on the agreement. (BBC)
- A major fire breaks out in Bombay House, a historic building in Mumbai, India, which serves as the headquarters of the Tata Group, resulting in at least three deaths. (Press Trust of India via IBN-Live)
- Thieves tapping a Pemex oil pipeline cause a diesel fuel spill south of Tijuana in Mexico. (Reuters)
- Two small planes (took off from Langley Regional Airport) collide mid-air near Mission, British Columbia, in western Canada, with at least one person dead. (CTV)
Which were the top hits in that special week of February 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?