Friday 9 January 1920
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Within Our Gates, directed by Oscar Micheaux, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1920
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1920.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 January 1920!
Which were the important events of 9 January 1920 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
- Clive Dunn: English actor and singer (d. 2012).
- Hakim Said: Pakistani scholar and politician 20th Governor of Sindh (d. 1998).
- Chan Canasta: Polish-British magician (d. 1999).
- Hakim Mohammed Said: Pakistani scholar (d. 1998).
- Thousands of onlookers watch as quotThe Human Flyquot George Polley climbs the New York Woolworth Building. He reaches the 30th floor before being arrested.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1920 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- Nobody Knows (and Nobody Seems to Care) - Irving Kaufman & Jack Kaufman
- Broken Blossoms - Charles Harrison
- The Hand That Rocked the Cradle Rules My Heart - John Steel
- Oh! What a Pal was Mary - Edward Allen
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?