Wednesday 9 January 1929
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
The Sixth Sense, directed by Eusebio Fernndez Ardavn, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1929
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1929.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 January 1929!
Which were the important events of 9 January 1929 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
- Heiner Muller: German dramatist (d. 1995).
- Dorothea Puente: American serial killer.
- Brian Friel: Irish author playwright and director (d. 2015).
- Tom Riley: American lawyer and politician (d. 2011).
- Phyllis Givens: American esoteric and medical astrologer who tried to achieve automatic writing for ten years before her breakthrough in 1977.
- Heiner Müller: German (formerly East German) dramatist, poet, writer, essayist and theatre director. Described as "the theatre's greatest living poet" since Samuel Beckett, Müller is arguably the most important German dramatist of the 20th century after Bertolt Brecht. His "enigmatic, fragmentary pieces" are a significant contribution to postmodern drama and postdramatic theatre.
- Dorothea Montalvo: American homicide who, prior to her murder conviction, had forged checks as well as drugged and robbed old folks that she had met in bars. A psychological probation report done in 1978 named her as a chronic schizophrenic, deeply disturbed.
- KDB-AM in Santa Barbara CA begins radio transmissions
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in January 1929?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?