Monday 9 January 1939
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Jesse James, directed by Henry King, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
while The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 January 1939!
Which were the important events of 9 January 1939 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
- Denis Devaux: .
- Susannah York: British leading lady of stage and starring in over 60 films, as well as being an author of screen plays and children's books.
- Tony Dreyfus: French lawyer and politician, a member of the National Assembly of France from 1997 to 2012.
- Johann Strauss: Austrian composer of light music, particularly dance music and operettas.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 9 January 1939 and get them!