Tuesday 9 January 1940
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The Blue Bird, directed by Walter Lang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
while How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 January 1940!
Which were the important events of 9 January 1940 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
- Jimmy Boyd McComb in Missouri: USA; actor/singer (Howard - Bachelor Father).
- Barbara Buczek: Polish composer (d. 1993).
- Al Downing: American singer-songwriter and pianist (d. 2005).
- Ruth Dreifuss: Swiss journalist and politician 86th President of the Swiss Confederation.
- Pierre Combescot: French journalist and writer.
- 2 German officers make emergency landing in Belgium
- WWII British submarine is sunk.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 9 January 1940 and get them!