Wednesday 9 January 1957
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Bibie and Diane Barrière-Desseigne.
In UK Mary's Boy Child by Harry Belafonte was in the top 5 hits.
The Wrong Man, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while Don'T Go Near The Water by William Brinkley was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Whirlybirds.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 January 1957!
Which were the important events of 9 January 1957 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
- Bibie: Ghanaian singer.
- Diane Barrière-Desseigne: French heiress of casino group Lucien Barrière, from her adoptive father.
- Bernar : French caricaturist and cartoonist, whose work was published from the late 1990s in French satirical weekly magazine, Charlie Hebdo.
- Robert Hilst: American homicide; along with Tom Cross, he ambushed Donald Simpson on the evening of 4/04/1974 around 10:00 PM CDT.
- Blair Jenkins: Scottish former journalist.
- Jasmuheen : Australian mystic, a so called "Breatharian", who travels around the world lecturing about universal peace and tolerance. She claims to have taken very little food or drink from mid-1993, teaching people how to live from pranic energy instead of solid food.
- Phil Lewis: American singer (L.A. Guns)
- Mary Carr Moore: Composer, dies at 83.
- British Premier Anthony Eden resigns
- Dutch Newspaper Society expels communist daily paper Truth
- Kalmyk Autonomous Region reformed in RSFSR
- Checheno-Ingush ASSR reformed in RSFSR.
- Karachayevo-Cherkess Autonomous Region reestablished in RSFSR.
- British Prime Minister Anthony Eden resigns.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1957 ?
Top #6 songs in the USA
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Harry Belafonte - Mary's Boy Child
- Tommy Steele & The Steelmen - Singing The Blues
- The Everly Brothers - Wake Up Little Susie
- Guy Mitchell - Singing The Blues
- Johnny Otis & His Orchestra With Marie Adams - Ma He's Making Eyes At Me
- Frankie Vaughan - The Green Door
- Malcolm Vaughan - My Special Angel
- St Therese Of The Roses - Malcolm Vaughan
- Paul Anka - I Love You Baby
- Johnnie Ray - Just Walkin' In The Rain
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?