Monday 9 January 1961
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès and Yannick Stopyra.
In that special week of January people in US were listening to Wonderland By Night by Bert Kaempfert and His Orchestra.
In UK Poetry In Motion by Johnny Tillotson was in the top 5 hits.
Where the Boys Are, directed by Henry Levin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Kleine Stadt - ganz groß.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 January 1961!
Which were the important events of 9 January 1961 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
- Xavier Dupont de Ligonnès: French man suspected to have murdered all the members of his family (his wife and their four children) at his home, in Nantes.
- Yannick Stopyra: French football/soccer player, a striker who amassed Ligue 1 totals of 455 games and 130 goals in representation of six teams, mainly Sochaux and Toulouse, during a 17-year professional career.
- Oliver Goldstick: American screenwriter and producer.
- Henry Omaga-Diaz: Filipino journalist.
- Twins agree on $500,000 payment to AA for Minn / St. Paul territory
- British authorities announce that they have discovered a large Soviet spy ring in London.
- President Dwight Eisenhower gives his final State of the Union Address to Congress. In a Farewell Address the same day, he warns of the increasing power of a ampquotmilitary-industrial complex.ampquot
- Patrice Lumumba of Republic of Congo is assassinated.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 9 January 1961
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bert Kaempfert and His Orchestra - Wonderland By Night
- Elvis Presley - Are You Lonesome To-Night?
- Ferrante and Teicher - Exodus
- Floyd Cramer - Last Date
- The Shirelles - Will You Love Me Tomorrow?
- Bobby Vee - Rubber Ball
- Rosie - Angel Baby
- Johnny Horton - North To Alaska
- Ray Peterson - Corinna, Corinna
- Johnny Burnette - You're Sixteen
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?