Tuesday 9 January 1979
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic). In that special week of January people in US were listening to Too Much Heaven by Bee Gees.
In UK YMCA by The Village People was in the top 5 hits.
Invasion of the Body Snatchers, directed by Philip Kaufman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1979
while The Matarese Circle by Rob Ludlum was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 January 1979!
Which were the important events of 9 January 1979 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
- Lavinia Magruder: Miss Vermont Teen-USA (1996).
- Athanassios Prittas: Greek footballer.
- Tomiko Van: Japanese singer-songwriter and actress (Do As Infinity).
- Supreme Court strikes down (6-3) PA law requiring doctors performing an abortion to try to preserve lives of potentially viable fetuses
- Bollingen Prize for poetry awarded to WS Merwin.
- High-school basketball player Daryl Moreau makes 126th consecutive free throw.
- US Supreme Court strikes down (6-3) Pennsylvania law requiring doctors performing an abortion to try to preserve lives of potentially viable fetuses.
- The ''Music for UNICEF Concert'' is held at the United Nations General Assembly to raise money for UNICEF and promote the Year of the Child. It is broadcast the following day in the United States and around the world. Hosted by The Bee Gees, other performers include Donna Summer, ABBA, Rod Stewart and Earth, Wind amp Fire. A soundtrack album is later released.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1979 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #10 songs in the UK
- The Village People - YMCA
- Ian & The Blockheads - Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick
- Racey - Lay Your Love On Me
- Elton John - Song For Guy
- Earth Wind & Fire - September
- Olivia Newton-John - A Little More Love
- Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall
- The Police - Walking On The Moon
- Abba - I Have A Dream
- The Tourists - I Only Want To Be With You
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 9 January 1979 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?