Sunday 9 July 2006
It was Sunday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Promiscuous by Nelly Furtado.
In UK Hips Don't Lie by Shakira featuring Wyclef Jean was in the top 5 hits.
The Merry Jail, directed by Ernst Lubitsch, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2006
while Twelve Sharp by Janet Evanovich was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2006.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 July 2006!
Which were the important events of 9 July 2006 ?
- Roman Catholic Church - Feast of Our Lady of Peace.
- Bah�'f Faith - Holy Day: Martyrdom of the B�b.
- Palau - Constitution Day.
- Argentina - Independence Day.
- Roman festival - Caprotinia, or feasts of Juno Caprotina.
- Milan Williams: American keyboard player (The Commodores) (d. 2006).
- At least 122 people are killed after a Sibir Airlines Airbus A310 passenger jet, carrying 200 passengers veers off the runway while landing in wet conditions at Irkutsk Airport in Siberia.
- 25 people are injured on the Son of Beast wooden roller coaster near Cincinnati, Ohio, United States, as it came to a rapid stop. Several rescue units were sent to the scene. (Associated Press)
- Israeli-Palestinian conflict (Operation Summer Rains):
- 300 members of the British activist group 'Jews for Justice for Palestinians' sign a petition condemning Israeli military actions in the Gaza Strip. (BBC)
- An Israeli civilian is moderately wounded as a Qassam rocket strikes his private car in Sderot. Another rocket directly hits a house in Sderot, causing severe damage but no casualties. More than twenty rockets were launched against Israeli towns over the weekend by Palestenian militants, wounding several civilians. (Getty)
- Sectarian violence in Iraq: 40 Sunni civilians are massacred by Shia militiamen in Baghdad. (BBC)
- Hindu nationalists riot in and around the Indian city of Mumbai (Bombay), attacking a police station, burning buses, forcing businesses shut and halting public transport. (News.com.au)
- The Indian government bans export of pulses due to domestic shortages. This has led to price hikes for pulses in Bangladesh and other countries. (New Kerala)
- A S7 Airlines Airbus A310 crashes on landing in Irkutsk, Siberia, with many of the 200 passengers feared dead. (BBC)
- Nestlé is added to the Arab League list of companies to be boycotted ampquotbecause it maintains a branch in Israelampquot. An anonymous source says most League members are likely to ignore the decision. (Ynet)
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2006 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?