Thursday 9 July 2009
It was Thursday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of July people in US were listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
The Ugly Truth, directed by Robert Luketic, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while New Moon by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Batman: Arkham Asylum or Battlefield 1943.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 July 2009!
Which were the important events of 9 July 2009 ?
- Roman Catholic Church - Feast of Our Lady of Peace.
- Bah�'f Faith - Holy Day: Martyrdom of the B�b.
- Palau - Constitution Day.
- Argentina - Independence Day.
- Roman festival - Caprotinia, or feasts of Juno Caprotina.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 09 July
- A magnitude 5.7 earthquake strikes Yunnan province of China, killing one person and destroying over 10,000 homes. (BBC)
- July 2009 Ürümqi riots
- Chinese President Hu Jintao returns to Beijing and chairs Politburo Meeting, vowing ampquotsevere punishmentampquot on culprits as the social order in Ürümqi is being restored. (Xinhua)
- China opposes Turkey's attempt to place the riots on the agenda of the United Nations Security Council, saying it is a ampquotdomestic affairampquot, as Turkish Trade and Industry Minister Nihat Ergun and some Turkish companies call for a boycott of Chinese goods. (Xinhua)
- 2009 Iranian election protests
- Tehran Governor Morteza Tamaddon vows to ampquotsmashampquot any new protests. (Al Bawaba)
- Iranian police fire tear gas at protesters near Tehran University as new protests continue. (CNN)
- Sudan confirms negotiations are underway to free the kidnapped Irish and Ugandan aid workers Sharon Commins and Hilda Kawuki. (RTÉ)
- New cyber attacks strike South Korean websites, after several successive days of attacks. (''The Korea Times'')
- The death toll from a mass poisoning involving home-brewed alcohol in Gujarat, India rises to 71. (RTÉ)
- United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon says G8 action on climate change is ampquotnot good enoughampquot. (BBC)
- Kul Bahadur Khadka, the Nepalese general appointed acting army chief by former Maoist Prime Minister Prachanda denies allegations of plans to stage a coup d'état. (BBC)
- British phone tapping controversy
- David Cameron is asked to dismiss one of his most trusted advisers over allegations of illegal phone hacking by the Rupert Murdoch-owned ''News of the World'' tabloid. (''The Times'')
- British police are to investigate phone hacking claims by a newspaper. (''The New York Times'')
- A drone strike by the United States kills 50 Taliban militants in South Waziristan, Pakistan. (BBC)
- 25 people, including 21 civilians and 4 police, die and four are injured when an overturned truck carrying explosives blows up on a road south of Kabul, Afghanistan. (RTÉ)
- Bombs in Baghdad and northern Iraq kill at least 41 people and wounded more than 80, police say. (Sky News)
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?