Monday 9 June 2008
It was Monday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Stella McDermott .
In that special week of June people in US were listening to Lollipop by Lil Wayne.
The Happening, directed by M. Night Shyamalan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while The Hollow by Nora Roberts was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Moon Machines.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Championship Pony or Coffeetime Crosswords.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2008.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 June 2008!
Which were the important events of 9 June 2008 ?
- Saint Efrem=Saint Ephraim, deacon, Doctor of the Church
- Blessed Diana d'Andalo
- Saint Pelagia, virgin, martyr [BLS]
- Saint Vincent, deacon, martyr [BLS]
- Blessed Richard, bishop of Andria, Apulia
- Saint Liborius, bishop (of LeMans), confessor [GTZ: LeMans]
- Saint Edmund, bishop of Canturbury, confessor (Translation day) [GTZ: England]
- Saint Diomedes
- =? Blessed Columba, abbot, confessor [GTZ: Scotland]
- Saint Columba (called Saint Columcille in Ireland, where he is honoured as one of the islands three patron saints)
- Saint Alexander, martyr [GTZ: Russia]
- Roman Empire paganism - third day of the Vestalia in honor of the goddess Vesta
- Saint Primus and Felicianus, martyrs [common]
- Stella McDermott: American noted family, first daughter and second child of Tori Spelling and her husband.
- Suleiman Mousa: Jordanian historian and author (d. 2008).
- In the town of Lake Delton, Wisconsin, Lake Delton drains as a result of heavy flooding breaking the dam holding the lake back.
- French foreign minister Bernard Kouchner warns Ireland, saying the Irish would be the ampquotfirst victimampquot if they reject the EU Treaty of Lisbon. (RTL France)
- June 2008 Midwest Flood: A stalled storm system in the midwest of the United States causes further heavy flooding in Indiana, Iowa and Wisconsin with storms on the weekend causing 10 deaths in four states. (''The New York Times'')
- Pakistan lawyers begin a ampquotLong Marchampquot of protests against the Government of the President of Pakistan Pervez Musharraf calling for the reinstatement of judges dismissed last year including the former Chief Justice of Pakistan Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry. (''The Guardian'')
- 24 miners are rescued from the Ukrainian coal mine collapse with 12 still missing and one reported fatality. (Reuters)
- A further three British Conservative MEPs (Robert Atkins, Sajjad Karim, and John Purvis) are facing allegations of financial abuse, following the resignation of two fellow members from European Parliament positions last week. (''The Courier'')
- Ali Al-Naimi, the Saudi Arabian oil minister calls for a meeting of oil producing and consuming nations to discuss record oil prices. (AP via ABC News)
- India's prime minister Manmohan Singh calls for global nuclear disarmament asking world countries to create 'timebound framework' to rid the world of atomic weapons. (VOA)
- Indonesia makes the practice of the Ahmadiyya form of Islam in Indonesia a crime punishable by five years in prison. (BBC News)
- McDonald's stops serving sliced tomatoes in its hamburgers in the United States following a Salmonella Saintpaul outbreak linked to raw tomatoes. (''Chicago Tribune'')
- The President of the United States George W. Bush commences the last visit to Europe of his presidency. (''USA Today'')
- The United States Secretary of Defense Robert Gates nominates Norton Schwartz to be the next Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force with Michael B. Donley nominated as the next United States Secretary of the Air Force. (RTT)
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 2008 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?