Thursday 9 June 2011
It was Thursday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of June people in US were listening to Rolling In The Deep by Adele.
Bernie, directed by Richard Linklater, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Heaven Is for Real by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 June 2011!
Which were the important events of 9 June 2011 ?
- Saint Efrem=Saint Ephraim, deacon, Doctor of the Church
- Blessed Diana d'Andalo
- Saint Pelagia, virgin, martyr [BLS]
- Saint Vincent, deacon, martyr [BLS]
- Blessed Richard, bishop of Andria, Apulia
- Saint Liborius, bishop (of LeMans), confessor [GTZ: LeMans]
- Saint Edmund, bishop of Canturbury, confessor (Translation day) [GTZ: England]
- Saint Diomedes
- =? Blessed Columba, abbot, confessor [GTZ: Scotland]
- Saint Columba (called Saint Columcille in Ireland, where he is honoured as one of the islands three patron saints)
- Saint Alexander, martyr [GTZ: Russia]
- Roman Empire paganism - third day of the Vestalia in honor of the goddess Vesta
- Saint Primus and Felicianus, martyrs [common]
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 09 June
- 2011 Syrian uprising:
- The United Nations Security Council considers a resolution condemning the crackdown on Syrian protesters by security forces. (Al Arabiya)
- A video emerges appearing to show the torture of Thamer al-Sahri, a 15-year-old boy, by security forces. (Al Jazeera)
- Thousands of refugees from Syria cross into Turkey and Lebanon. (Al Jazeera)
- The Government of Somalia claims to have killed a Canadian member of the al-Shabab terrorist organization. (''The Globe and Mail'')
- The United States intensifies air raids against suspected Al-Qaeda members in Yemen amid anti-government protests. (Al Jazeera)
- At least nine people die in Afghanistan after a gunman attacks a wedding party in the Dur Baba District of Nangarhar Province. (BBC News)
- 2011 Libyan civil war:
- Turkey sets up a US$100 million fund to support the Libyan rebel National Transitional Council. (Reuters)
- The International Criminal Court accuses Muammar Gaddafi's regime of using rape as a weapon of war. (''The Guardian'')
- The President of Senegal, Abdoulaye Wade, calls on Gaddafi to step down. (Reuters)
- 2011 Yemeni uprising: President Ali Abdullah Saleh undergoes surgery in Saudi Arabia for injuries sustained in a bomb blast. (UPI)
- The ''Financial Times'' reports that computer hackers may have gained access to details of Citigroup bank card customer details. (Reuters)
- The U.S. Supreme Court upholds a 2009 jury verdict in a patent dispute at the expense of software giant Microsoft in favor of Canadian company i4i. (Cornell University Law School)
- Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster:
- The Government of Japan submits a report to the International Atomic Energy Agency calling for revision of nuclear reactor design standards in the wake of the disaster. (Yomiuri Daichiri)
- Shares in Tokyo Electric Power Company (TEPCO), the operator of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant, fall to a record low due to continuing concerns over its viability and ongoing problems at the plant. (Kyodo News)
- China denies claims by the United Nations that 300 Tibetan monks have forcibly disappeared over the past three months. (AP via Google News)
- The International Atomic Energy Agency votes to report Syria to the United Nations Security Council over its alleged covert nuclear programme. (BBC)
- Eritrea accuses four Britons of espionage and terrorism. (Reuters)
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?