Monday 9 March 1959
It was Monday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Lonny Price in New York City and Kato Kaelin.
In that special week of March people in US were listening to Venus by Frankie Avalon.
In UK Smoke Gets In Your Eyes by The Platters was in the top 5 hits.
The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw, directed by Raoul Walsh, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Garry Halliday.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 March 1959!
Which were the important events of 9 March 1959 ?
- Saint Frances of Rome.
- Belize - Baron Bliss Day.
- Saint Gregory of Nyssa
- Lonny Price in New York City: New York, USA; actor (Muppets Take Manhattan).
- Kato Kaelin: American newsfigure and minor entertainer, best known as a friend of Nicole and O.J.
- Tom Amandes: American actor and director.
- Giovanni di Lorenzo: German-Italian journalist.
- Takaaki Kajita: Japanese physicist and academic Nobel Prize laureate.
- Lonny Price: American actor director and screenwriter
- Juno opens at Winter Garden Theater NYC for 16 performances
- 1st known radar contact is made with Venus
- The first Barbie doll, Mattel's "Barbie Millicent Roberts", goes on display at the American Toy Fair in New York City. Eleven inches tall, Barbie is the first mass-produced toy doll in the United States with adult features.
- The Barbie doll makes its debut at the American International Toy Fair in New York.
- The Barbie doll debuts.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 9 March 1959
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Frankie Avalon - Venus
- The Coasters - Charlie Brown
- Lloyd Price - Stagger Lee
- Ritchie Valens - Donna
- David Seville - Alvin's Harmonica
- The Bell Notes - I've Had It
- Brook Benton - It's Just A Matter Of Time
- Petite Fleur (Little Flower) - Chris Barber's Jazz Band
- LaVern Baker - I Cried A Tear
- The Crests - 16 Candles
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?