Wednesday 9 March 2011
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of March people in US were listening to Born This Way by Lady GaGa.
Detention, directed by Joseph Kahn, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Alone by Lisa Gardner was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 March 2011!
Which were the important events of 9 March 2011 ?
- Saint Frances of Rome.
- Belize - Baron Bliss Day.
- Saint Gregory of Nyssa
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 09 March
- David Broder: American journalist (Born 1929).
- Space Shuttle Discovery makes its final landing after 39 flights.
- 2011 Libyan civil war:
- The Gaddafi regime offers US$400,000 bounty for rebel leader Mustafa Abdul Jalil. (''Haaretz'')
- Activists in London calling themselves Topple the Tyrants occupy the mansion of Gaddafi's son, saying they would stay ampquotuntil this property can be returned to the Libyan people.ampquot (''Huffington Post'')
- The city of Ra's Lanuf comes under heavy shelling by government forces. (Al Jazeera)
- Egypt has been secretly aiding Libyan rebels, apparently has sent around 100 Special Forces troops, while Cairo has made no official comment on the report. (''Daily Mirror'')
- A BBC team is subjected to a mock execution by Libyan soldiers. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
- 2011 Yemeni protests:
- Two people die in continuing demonstrations across the country. (Al Jazeera)
- Doctors suspect nerve gas was used on protesters. (''The Sydney Morning Herald'')
- 2010–2011 Ivorian crisis: Unrest continues in Côte d'Ivoire as the internationally-recognised President Alassane Ouattara heads to a mediation summit. (AFP via Google News)
- Police in Uganda fire tear gas at demonstrators protesting the win of incumbent President Yoweri Museveni in elections. (Reuters)
- Clashes between Christian Copt and Muslims in the Egyptian capital Cairo kill 13 people and injure 140. (''Times of India'')
- According to the United Nations, Afghan civilian deaths increased by 15% in 2010, to 2777. (Bloomberg)
- Vivian Schiller resigns as the head of National Public Radio in the United States following a fundraising scandal. (''Washington Times'')
- Buckingham Palace confirms that the wedding of Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall will be held on 30 July 2011 at the Canongate Kirk in Edinburgh, Scotland. (BBC)
- A government-sponsored study in Canada concludes that heavy metals and polycyclic aromatic compounds found in the Athabasca River downstream of oil sands plants, are not a natural occurrence but pollution resulting from those plants. (Reuters)
- A tsunami alert is issued after a strong earthquake of preliminary 7.2 magnitude occurs off the coast of Honshu, Japan. (CNN)
- The Governor of the US state of New Jersey, Chris Christie declares a state of emergency along the Passaic and Delaware Rivers and Bound Brook in Somerset County in order to prepare for anticipated floods later in the week. (AP via ''The Columbus Republic'')
- Ice loss from Antarctica and Greenland has accelerated over the past 20 years, according to new research, and will soon become the biggest driver of sea level rise. (MercoPress)
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 2011 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?