Saturday 9 May 1936
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Show Boat, directed by James Whale, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1936
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1936.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1936 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Albert Finney: British actor.
- Terry Drinkwater: TV newsman (CBS).
- Terry Downes: middleweight boxing champion (1961-62).
- Andrea Borruso: Italian politician, municipal advisor, parliamentarian.
- Glenda Jackson: British internationally known actress who won a NY Film Classics Award in 1971, an Emmy for "Queen Elizabeth" in 1972, and Oscars in 1970 and 1974.
- 1st KLM airplane to land on Bonaire
- Italy formally annexes Ethiopia after taking the capital Addis Ababa on May 5.
- Italian East Africa is formed from the Italian territories of Eritrea, Ethiopia, and Italian Somaliland.
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?