Tuesday 9 May 1939
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Bruce Mather and Herbert Hippauf.
Goodbye, Mr. Chips, directed by Sam Wood, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1939 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Bruce Mather: Composer.
- Herbert Hippauf: Baseball player.
- Jim Dent: Augusta, Georgia -- PGA golfer (1989 MONY Syracuse Senior).
- Nokle Edwards: Rocker.
- Jim Dent in Augusta: Georgia, USA; PGA golfer (1989 MONY Syracuse Senior).
- Kenneth Warby: fastest man on water at 300 knots (345 mph).
- Ion Tiriac: Romanian tennis manager
- Pierre Desproges: French humorist, famous for his elaborate, eloquent and above all, virulent diatribes criticizing anything and everything.
- Ralph Boston: Laurel, Mississippi -- Long jumper (1960, 64, 68 Olympics - Gold / Silver / Bronze Medals)
- Ion Țiriac: Romanian tennis player and manager
- Catholic church beatifies the first Native American, Kateri Tekakwitha.
- Spain leaves the League of Nations.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?