Thursday 9 May 1946
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Candice Bergen in Beverly Hills and Candice Bergen.
A Night in Casablanca, directed by Archie L. Mayo, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1946
On TV people were watching Hour Glass.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1946 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Candice Bergen in Beverly Hills: California, USA; actress (Carnal Knowledge, Murphy Brown).
- Candice Bergen: American actress and model, beginning her career in commercials but moving into film while still in her teens with "The Group.
- Drafi Deutscher: German Schlager singer (Born 1946).
- Clint Holmes: English-American singer-songwriter and game show host.
- Ayşe Zarakolu: Turkish author and activist (d. 2002).
- King Victor Emmanuel III of Italy abdicates and is succeeded by Humbert II.
- Nehru is elected leader of the Congress Party in India.
- The first V-2 rocket is successfully launched at the White Sands Missile Range.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1946 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Ink Spots - The Gypsy
- Bumble Boogie - Freddy Martin & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?