Tuesday 9 May 1950
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Please Believe Me, directed by Norman Taurog, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1950
while The Cardinal by Henry Morton Robinson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1950.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1950 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Matthew Kelly: British entertainer, seen primarily on TV.
- James Butts: American triple jumper.
- Tom Petersson: American bass player and songwriter (Cheap Trick and Fuse).
- Marcheline Bertrand: Family Member.
- Tom Petersson in Rockford: Illinois, USA; rock bassist (Cheap Trick).
- James A Butts: Los Angeles, California -- Triple jumper (1976 Olympics - Silver Medalist)
- Esteban Terradas i Illa: Catalan mathematician, scientist, and engineer (Born 1883).
- French Foreign minister Robert Schuman announces the Schuman Plan for European integration.
- Robert Schuman presents his proposal on the creation of an organized Europe, which according to him was indispensable to the maintenance of peaceful relations. This proposal, known as the ''Schuman declaration'', is considered by some people to be the beginning of the creation of what is now the European Union.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1950 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Hoop-Dee-Doo - Kay Starr
- Sammy Kaye & His Orchestra - Roses
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?