Monday 9 May 1955
It was Monday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Kevin Peter Hall in Pittsburgh and Myra Blackwelder.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Unchained Melody by Les Baxter & His Orchestra.
In UK Stranger In Paradise by Tony Bennett was in the top 5 hits.
Bride of the Monster, directed by Edward D. Wood Jr., was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while No Time For Sergeants by Mac Hyman was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Sam and Friends.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1955 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Kevin Peter Hall in Pittsburgh: Pennsylvania, USA; actor (Misfits of Science).
- Myra Blackwelder: LPGA golfer.
- Anne-Sofie von Otter: Swedish mezzo-soprano.
- Tad Coffin: American equestrian who, during the 1976 Olympic Games, became the first American rider to win a gold medal in the individual three-day equestrian event.
- Meles Zenawi: Prime Minister of Ethiopia (d. 2012).
- Anne von Otter: Swedish soprano and actress
- German Federal Republic joins NATO.
- Sam and Friends debuts on a local United States television channel, marking the first television appearance of both Jim Henson and what would become Kermit the Frog and The Muppets.
- Cold War: West Germany joins NATO.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1955 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?