Tuesday 9 May 1961
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Rene Capo and Masako Lackey.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Runaway by Del Shannon.
In UK Blue Moon by The Marcels was in the top 5 hits.
Two Women, directed by Vittorio De Sica, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Ernie Kovacs Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1961 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Rene Capo: Pinal del Rio, Cuba -- Half-heavyweight judoka (1996 Olympics).
- Masako Lackey: Japanese concert pianist.
- John Corbett: TV Actor.
- Sean Altman: American singer-songwriter and guitarist (Rockapella).
- FCC Chairman Newton N Minow criticizes TV as a vast wasteland
- Jim Gentile of the Baltimore Orioles becomes the first player in baseball history to hit grand slams in consecutive innings.
- US Federal Communications Commission Chairman Newton N Minow criticizes TV as a "vast wasteland".
- Baltimore Orioles' player Jim Gentile hits two grand slams (nine RBIs) versus Minnesota Twins.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 9 May 1961
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Del Shannon - Runaway
- Ernie K-Doe - Mother-In-Law
- Gene McDaniels - A Hundred Pounds Of Clay
- Linda Scott - I've Told Every Little Star
- The Marcels - Blue Moon
- Brenda Lee - You Can Depend On Me
- Adam Wade - Take Good Care Of Her
- Ray Charles - One Mint Julep
- Steve Lawrence - Portrait Of My Love
- Floyd Cramer - On The Rebound
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?