Sunday 9 May 1965
It was Sunday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Marc Logan and Steve Yzerman in Cranbrook.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter by Herman's Hermits.
In UK Ticket To Ride by The Beatles was in the top 5 hits.
The Pawnbroker, directed by Sidney Lumet, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1965
while Up The Down Staircase by Bel Kaufman was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Die Unverbesserlichen.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1965.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1965 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Marc Logan: NFL running back (Washington Redskins).
- Steve Yzerman in Cranbrook: British Columbia, Canada; NHL forward (Team Canada, Detroit Red Wings).
- Ben Volpeliere-Pierrot: rocker (Curiosity Killed Cat-Keep Distance).
- Janu Tornell: American model and Survivor contestant.
- Steve Yzerman: Hockey Player.
- Ken Nomura: Japanese race car driver and sportscaster
- Leopold Figl: Austrian engineer and politician 18th Chancellor of Austria (d. 1965).
- Beatles attend a Bob Dylan concert
- Luna 5 launched (USSR) 1st attempt to soft land on Moon (fails)
- The pianist Vladimir Horowitz returned to stage after a 12 years absence performing a legendary concert in Carnegie Hall in New York.
- West Germany and Israel establish diplomatic relations.
- The Italian liner T/S ''Michelangelo'' enters into service.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1965 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Herman's Hermits - Mrs. Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter
- Gary Lewis and the Playboys - Count Me In
- The Beatles - Ticket To Ride
- Wayne Fontana - Game Of Love
- The Seekers - I'll Never Find Another You
- Petula Clark - I Know A Place
- Herman's Hermits - Silhouettes
- Freddie and the Dreamers - I'm Telling You Now
- The Rolling Stones - The Last Time
- Sounds Orchestral - Cast Your Fate To The Wind
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?