Thursday 9 May 1968
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of May people in US were listening to Honey by Bobby Goldsboro.
In UK What A Wonderful World / Cabaret by Louis Armstrong was in the top 5 hits.
The Devil's Brigade, directed by Andrew V. McLaglen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1968
while The Tower Of Babel by Morris West was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1968.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1968 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- David Benoit: American basketball player, a one-time forward for the New Jersey Nets and Orlando Magic.
- Marie-Jose Perec: French athlete, the winner of a Field and Track Gold Medal at the Atlanta Olympic in the 100 m., a new Olympics record, 7/30/1996.
- Graham Harman: American philosopher and academic.
- Ruth Kelly: British economist and politician Secretary of State for Transport.
- Hardy Krüger: German actor, the son of the German actor-writer Hardy Krüger and the Italian painter Francesca Marazzi.
- David Benoit NBA forward (Utah Jazz: New Jersey Nets).
- Bruce Pickens: NFL cornerback (Oakland Raiders).
- Vince Workman NFL running back (Green Bay Packers: Carolina Panthers, Baltimore Colts).
- Harold Gray: US comic strip artist (Little Orphan Annie), dies at age 74.
- Phil Arnold: New Jersey, United States -- Actor (Errand Boy, Stud Lonigan, Damn Yankees).
- Finlay Currie: Scottish prolific character star of stage, film and TV, portraying kindliness and villainy with equal gusto, 1898 marking his stage debut.
- Mercedes de Acosta: American poet, playwright, costume designer, and socialite (Born 1893).
- Marion Lorne: Actress (Aunt Clara-Bewitched), dies at 81.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1968 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Goldsboro - Honey
- Archie Bell & The Drells - Tighten Up
- Union Gap - Young Girl
- Hugo Montenegro - The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
- The Box Tops - Cry Like A Baby
- The Rascals - A Beautiful Morning
- The Intruders - Cowboys To Girls
- The Irish Rovers - The Unicorn
- Simon and Garfunkel - Mrs. Robinson
- The Beatles - Lady Madonna
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?