Saturday 9 November 1918
It was Saturday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
The Greatest Thing in Life, directed by D.W. Griffith, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1918
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 November 1918!
Which were the important events of 9 November 1918 ?
- Roman Catholicism - Dedication of the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano, Cathedral of the Pope (memorial feast day)
- Also see November 9 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Cambodia - Independence Day (1953)
- Pakistan - Allama Iqbal Day (1877)
- Germany - November 9th is often called Germany's Schicksalstag (day of fate) due to the events of 1848, 1918, 1923, 1938, and 1989.
- Europe - Inventor's Day - in honor of Hedy Lamarr's birthday
- United States - World Freedom Day, to commenerate the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989
- Thomas Ferebee: Enola Gay bombardier over Hiroshima (d. 2000).
- Choi Hi: South Korean general and martial artist co-founded taekwondo (d. 2002).
- Howard Shanet: Brooklyn, New York -- Conductor (Night of the Tropics).
- Florence Chadwick: American swim champion and stockbroker, she was the first woman to swim the English Channel in both directions.
- Choi Hong Hi: Co-Founder of Taekwon-Do (d. 2002).
- Jacqueline Plessis: France Actor
- Spiro Agnew: American lawyer and politician, the Governor of Maryland 1967-69 and Vice-president under Nixon, 1969. He was forced to resign in October 1973 for financial misconduct, income tax evasion and allegedly accepting bribes, the first vice president in American history to resign in disgrace. He pleaded No Contest and withdrew from political life to work as a business executive.
- Republic Germany proclaimed
- Bavaria proclaims itself a republic.
- Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany abdicates after the German Revolution, and Germany is proclaimed a Republic.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1918 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- I'm Always Chasing Rainbows - Charles Harrison
- Everything is Peaches Down in Georgia - American Quartet
- When You Sang Hush-A-Bye to Me - Sterling Trio
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in November 1918?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 9 November 1918 and get them!