Tuesday 9 November 1965
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Todd Gill and Daphne Guinness.
In that special week of November people in US were listening to Get Off Of My Cloud by The Rolling Stones.
In UK Get Off Of My Cloud by The Rolling Stones was in the top 5 hits.
Juliet of the Spirits, directed by Federico Fellini, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1965
while Up The Down Staircase by Bel Kaufman was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Die Bräute meiner Söhne.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 November 1965!
Which were the important events of 9 November 1965 ?
- Roman Catholicism - Dedication of the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano, Cathedral of the Pope (memorial feast day)
- Also see November 9 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Cambodia - Independence Day (1953)
- Pakistan - Allama Iqbal Day (1877)
- Germany - November 9th is often called Germany's Schicksalstag (day of fate) due to the events of 1848, 1918, 1923, 1938, and 1989.
- Europe - Inventor's Day - in honor of Hedy Lamarr's birthday
- United States - World Freedom Day, to commenerate the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989
- Todd Gill: Cardinal, NHL defenseman (Toronto Maple Leafs).
- Daphne Guinness: English-Irish model and actress.
- Bryn Terfel: Welsh opera singer.
- 1st New York Knick game postponed (black-out) vs. St. Louis
- 5:16pm, massive power failure in New Engl, and Ontario (NY blackout)
- Hurricane hits north east US / Canada
- The biggest power failure in U.S. history occurs as all of New York state, portions of seven neighboring states, and parts of eastern Canada are plunged into darkness. The blackout was caused by the tripping of a transmission line near Ontario, Canada. The cascading effect onto other transmission lines eventually takes down the entire Northeastern network. 30 million people in eight U.S. states and the Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec are affected by the blackout.
- Willie Mays named National League Most Valuable Player.
- Catholic Worker member Roger Allen LaPorte, protesting against the Vietnam War, sets himself on fire in front of the United Nations building.
- Several U.S. states and parts of Canada are hit by a series of blackouts lasting up to 13 hours in the Northeast Blackout of 1965.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 9 November 1965
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1965 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Rolling Stones - Get Off Of My Cloud
- The Toys - A Lover's Concerto
- Len Barry - 1-2-3
- The Vogues - You're The One
- The Supremes - I Hear A Symphony
- Fontella Bass - Rescue Me
- Gary Lewis and the Playboys - Everybody Loves A Clown
- The 4 Seasons - Let's Hang On
- Herb Alpert And The Tijuana Brass - Taste Of Honey
- Marvin Gaye - Ain't That Peculiar
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?