Sunday 9 November 2003
It was Sunday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of November people in US were listening to Baby Boy by Beyonce.
In UK Be Faithful by Fatman Scoop featuring The Crooklyn Clan was in the top 5 hits.
Monster, directed by Patty Jenkins, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2003
while The South Beach Diet by Arthur Agatston was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2003.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 November 2003!
Which were the important events of 9 November 2003 ?
- Roman Catholicism - Dedication of the Basilica di San Giovanni in Laterano, Cathedral of the Pope (memorial feast day)
- Also see November 9 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Cambodia - Independence Day (1953)
- Pakistan - Allama Iqbal Day (1877)
- Germany - November 9th is often called Germany's Schicksalstag (day of fate) due to the events of 1848, 1918, 1923, 1938, and 1989.
- Europe - Inventor's Day - in honor of Hedy Lamarr's birthday
- United States - World Freedom Day, to commenerate the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 09 November
- Guatemalan election: Large numbers of voters turn out for the general election, despite fears of violence. In the presidential race, former Guatemala City mayor Óscar Berger receives 34% of the vote, and center-left candidate Álvaro Colom gets 26% former dictator Efraín Ríos Montt comes in third in with 19%. A run-off vote between Berger and Colom is to take place on December 28.
- Coca Cola sends some of its most senior executives to Dublin to discuss a spreading student boycott of Coca Cola products. Students in University College Dublin, Trinity College Dublin, National University of Ireland, Maynooth and Queens University Belfast announced their boycott amid allegations of ill-treatment of Colombian workers who bottle the company's drinks for sale in Latin America.
- Japan general election: Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi wins the election in Japan but with a reduced majority. The opposition Democratic Party is projected to win almost 180 seats which for the first time will take them into the position of forming a credible opposition. Other small parties like Japan Communist Party loses seats significantly, making two-party system realistic in politics of Japan.
- War on Terrorism:
- The Venice Commission: (The European Commission for Democracy through Law) criticizes the regime under which men are held in Guantanamo Bay. It concludes that it is wrong to ignore the Geneva Conventions and basic human rights law.
- British special forces commanders criticise the quality of the intelligence given to them before and during the conflict with Iraq.
- The UK Secretary of Defence Geoff Hoon is accused of providing misleading figures about the true cost of conflict in Iraq.
- U.S. troops shoot and kill Mohannad Ghazi al Kaabi, the appointed interim mayor of Sadr City (formerly Saddam City), Baghdad.
- Peruvian armed forces capture a leader of the Shining Path rebel group after a clash in the Andes in which four guerrillas were killed and an officer wounded.
- 2003 Rugby Union World Cup: England beats Wales to reach the semi-final of the World Cup, but Wales led in the first half.
- William Donaldson, chairman of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, launches a scathing attack on the US securities and mutual fund industries.
- Experts conclude that dioxin probably killed off the trout in the Great Lakes.
- In the United States, support for George W. Bush decreases as casualties mount in Iraq.
- British bank Barclays Bank Plc is reported to be in talks with three US banks with regard to a takeover bid for one of them.
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 2003 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?