Friday 9 October 2009
It was Friday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of October people in US were listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
Couples Retreat, directed by Peter Billingsley, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 October 2009!
Which were the important events of 9 October 2009 ?
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 09 October
- First lunar impact of the Centaur and LCROSS spacecrafts as part of NASA's Lunar Precursor Robotic Program.
- A United Nations plane from Uruguay attached to MINUSTAH monitoring the HaitindashDominican Republic border crashes near Fonds-Verrettes, killing at least 11 people from Jordan and Uruguay. (Associated Press)
- General Motors finalizes a deal to sell Hummer to China's Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Company. (''The Wall Street Journal'')
- Treaty of Lisbon:
- A statement on Polish President Lech Kaczyński's website says a signing ceremony of the treaty will take place on Saturday at 1000 GMT. (EuActive)
- Czech President Václav Klaus, the last remaining leader against the Lisbon Treaty, says the country must negotiate an opt-out from parts of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union before it proceeds with the ratification process. (RTÉ)
- Only the Czech government could make such a request, but Czech Prime minister Jan Fischer says that President Klaus had not given the cabinet any information about his latest demands. (BBC News)
- Aung San Suu Kyi is permitted to meet international diplomats to discuss international sanctions against Burma. (CNN)
- U.S. president Barack Obama wins the Nobel Peace Prize “for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples.” (Nobel Foundation)
- More than 181 people are killed in floods in the Philippines. (''Times of India'')
- Six Vietnamese pro-democracy activists are sentenced to up to six years in prison for ampquotspreading propagandaampquot against the government. (Reuters India)
- French police arrest a researcher at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) for suspected links to Al-Qaeda. (''Taiwan News'')
- Wallace Souza, the former Brazilian state legislator and host of ''Canal Livre'' who faces accusations of drug trafficking and murder, surrenders to police after being a fugitive for four days. (CNN)
- India plans a new offensive against Maoist Naxalite rebels active in parts of the country. (''Outlook India'')
- A suspected suicide car-bomber kills 49 people in the Pakistani city of Peshawar in an attack that the government said underscored the need for an all-out offensive against the Pakistani Taliban. (Reuters)
- Two people die after being overcome by sweat and about 19 others are hospitalised at a spiritual retreat in Arizona, USA. (BBC)
- Public amputations on three men accused of robbery occur in Somalia. (TVNZ)
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2009 ?
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?