Saturday 9 October 2010
It was Saturday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars.
Ip Man, directed by Wilson Yip, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2010.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 October 2010!
Which were the important events of 9 October 2010 ?
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 09 October
- A senior Taliban commander and two other insurgents were killed in a fire fight with Nato and Afghan forces in western Badghis province's Murghab district. (Dawn)
- 7 naxals are gunned down by the police in an encounter in Mahasamund district of Chhattisgarh. (Deccan Chronicle)
- Four Italian soldiers die following an attack in the Farah area, Afghanistan. (CNN)
- Violence in England:
- Riot police and dogs clash with protesters as demonstrations lead to violence in England. There are injuries and 5 men are arrested in the country's largest police operation for a quarter of a century (25 years). (''The Daily Telegraph'')
- A Sky News satellite truck is attacked by elements of the far-right English Defence League as 4 frightened members of its news team lock themselves inside. (Sky News)
- Death of Linda Norgrove:
- David Cameron defends the failed American rescue attempt. (BBC)
- Gunmen in southwestern Pakistan near the town of Sibi set fire to more than 20 oil tanker trucks carrying fuel for NATO forces in Afghanistan. (Reuters via Yahoo! News)
- The Government of Ecuador extends a state of emergency initially imposed on September 30 in the 2010 Ecuador crisis. (CNN)
- Minister of Māori Affairs Pita Sharples adds his name to calls for suspended TVNZ broadcaster Paul Henry to be sacked after he manages to upset most of India. (stuff.co.nz)
- Warner Bros. axes the 3D version of the next Harry Potter film. (''Daily Mail'')
- Silicon Valley Bank (SVB) has signed a series of cooperative framework agreements with the Shanghai Financial Office. (21cbh)
- Ajka alumina plant accident:
- 2010 Copiapó mining accident:
- A drill reaches the underground chamber where the 33 trapped miners reside. Wild celebrations occur. Rescue efforts are scheduled to begin within days. (Reuters)
- More than 200 passengers are rescued, 20 of whom sustain injuries, from Baltic Sea ferry ''Lisco Gloria'', en route from Kiel to Klaipėda, after it ignites near Fehmarn off the eastern coast of Schleswig-Holstein. There are reports of an explosion on board. (Deutsche Welle)
- The United States leads a group of non-EU developed countries in attempts to thoroughly revamp the Kyoto Protocol, blocking any possible progress in the climate negotiations currently under way in Tianjin, according to negotiator Sui Wei. (''China Daily'')
- Former Oceanic Bank chief Cecilia Ibru is sentenced to six months in prison after being found guilty of committing 3 of 25 charges of fraud and mismanagement. (BBC)
- Erwin Arnada, the former editor of ''Playboy Indonesia'', is arrested on Bali. He had been on the run since being sentenced to two years in prison in August after an earlier trial in 2007. (AFP via ''Philippine Daily Inquirer'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2010 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?