Saturday 9 September 1939
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Howard P McKeon and Carlos Ortiz.
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, directed by Alfred Werker, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1939.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 September 1939!
Which were the important events of 9 September 1939 ?
- North Korea - Republic Day (1948)
- Eastern Orthodoxy - Synaxis of the Theopatores Joachim and Anna
- California - Admission Day (to commemorate the state's admission to the USA)
- Japan - Chrysanthemum Day (Kiku no Sekku)
- Tajikistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- Howard P McKeon: (Rep-R-California).
- Carlos Ortiz: Puerto Rican boxer.
- Bruce Gray: Puerto Rican actor.
- Georges Fleury: French writer and historian.
- Jean Le Mauve: French typographer, editor and writer.
- Reuven Rivlin: Israeli lawyer and politician currently serving as the president-elect of Israel. He belongs to the Likud party. A former Speaker of the Knesset, he ran in the 2007 election for President as the Likud candidate. He withdrew after the first round of voting when it became clear that Kadima MK Shimon Peres had sufficiently broad support to inevitably win in a run-off.
- Carol Tebbs: American astrologer, teacher, lecturer and writer. A school art teacher, Carol became intrigued with astrology in 1971. A member of ISAR, she served as a board member and as President. She is noted as a former program chair person and a conference coordinator for U.A.C and has written several articles in journals.
- Arthur Dignam: Australian actor
- Ron McDole: American football player
- Nazi army reaches Warsaw
- WWII: Troops of the Polish Poznan Army under the command of General Kutrzeba open the Battle of the Bzura, the largest and best organized counter-attack mounted by the Polish forces in the campaign of 1939. For the first few days all goes well and the Germans are forced to retreat but quick reaction by mechanized units and the Luftwaffe soon take their toll and the operation bogs down.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?