Friday 9 September 1955
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of September people in US were listening to The Yellow Rose Of Texas by Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus.
In UK Rose Marie by Slim Whitman was in the top 5 hits.
Journey to Italy, directed by Roberto Rossellini, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while Something Of Value by Robert Ruark was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 September 1955!
Which were the important events of 9 September 1955 ?
- North Korea - Republic Day (1948)
- Eastern Orthodoxy - Synaxis of the Theopatores Joachim and Anna
- California - Admission Day (to commemorate the state's admission to the USA)
- Japan - Chrysanthemum Day (Kiku no Sekku)
- Tajikistan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- Jean Lafond: French Grand Prix motorcycle racer, who was Endurance FIM World Champion in 1981.
- John Kricfalusi: Canadian voice actor animator director and screenwriter.
- Don Zimmer, hits 4,000th Dodger home run
- Louise Suggs wins LPGA St. Louis Golf Open
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1955 ?
Top #8 songs in the USA
- The Four Lads - Moments To Remember
- Bill Haley and His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
- Mitch Miller Orchestra & Chorus - The Yellow Rose Of Texas
- Roger Williams - Autumn Leaves
- Frank Sinatra - Learnin' The Blues
- Pat Boone - Ain't That A Shame
- Fontane Sisters - Seventeen
- Boyd Bennett - Seventeen
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 9 September 1955 and get them!